International Performers’ Residency- John Britton
INTERNATIONAL PERFORMERS’ RESIDENTIAL WORKSHOP BY JOHN BRITTON
Registrations are open for DUENDE’s ‘After The Storm’, a 14-day intensive performers’ residency aiming at holistic (psychophysical) training, working towards the integration of thinking & doing. It is a dynamic, physical, improvisatory process that encourages performers to identify & overcome blockages that prevent them from achieving what they might otherwise be capable of.
John Britton is an acclaimed director, writer, performer, improviser, and trainer of performers. He is also the founder and Artistic Director of DUENDE, an international collaboration of performers dedicated to ensemble.He has directed, written and performed in over 80 productions across a wide range of art-forms, including dance, physical theatre, opera, youth theatre, school work, radio, live art as well as writing for stage. Additionally, he has indulged in radio, performing experimental opera, physical theatre, solo improvisation, and commercial pantomime.He has run residencies in USA, UK, France, Greece and India. He is also the director of the DUENDE School of Ensemble Physical Theater ‘After the Storm’ is a part of his India workshop tour.
• Understanding the core principles of a performance- focus, presence, detail & stillness through various activities developed by John Britton; such as-structured & unstructured solo, duet & group improvisation, ‘The Ball Game’, etc.
• Empowering your own performance while understanding how to work efficiently & constructively within the structure of an ensemble.
• Being alive & present at every second of your performance, keeping it crisp & exciting.
• Using physicality for telling stories, minimising text.
• Daily performances in front of an ensemble; increasing stage comfort, facilitating peer learning.
• Bridging the gap between theory & practice via ‘negitiva’, i.e. eradicating physical & psychological obstacles for effective use of the self rather than as a process of acquiring skills.
• Exploring Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’ through a dynamic, physical, & improvisatory process, culminating in a performance.
Nestled amidst rocky hills and fields near Bangalore, The Infinite Souls Artist Retreat is a space run by artists and thus, understands the temperament of creative work.To know more about the venue: http://www.infinitesouls.org/
Applications are open to emerging & working performers from all over the world. If you wish to apply for a place, please send us:
• A brief outline of your training/ career/ CV.
• A short statement of what you would like to gain from attending this workshop.
17th February to 3rd March, 2015.
The full cost of the workshop is INR 28,500. This covers all food,
accommodation, transport between Bangalore city & Infinite Souls and the
residency fees. Travel till Bangalore City is not included.
For further information and to apply, send an email to email@example.com
or call on +919811111142.