Kooshk Artist Residency Award – KARA 2019
Deadline: October 31, 2018
Winners’ Declaration: Mid January, 2019
Residency Date: May 2019 (1-31)
Kooshk residency is a non-profit space for arts and culture in Tehran. Kooshk, funded by the private section tries to provide a convenient space for artists, curators, researchers, writers and filmmakers to encourage inter-cultural dialogues and art creation.
The Kooshk Artist Residency Award has been implemented to support artists, creativity and the development of new ideas in the unique space of Tehran. This Residency program is a chance for attendants to do research and experiment, develop professionally, maintain direct dialogues and the exchange of ideas in order to grow and nurture their creativity, and try new methods of working and thinking. This Residency is an annual event lasting one month and will be offered to four non-Iranian selected artists.
During the residency, Kooshk will provide a dynamic and distinctive situation for international artists to work and exchange ideas with local artists, critics and researchers. The program emphasizes a balance between working in a personal space and working in collaboration with other artists and interacting with viewers and the environment. In line with its goals, Kooshk will make any effort to have a contribution in the growth of cultural and social views, by gathering local, national and international artists with a diverse spectrum of artistic disciplines in the cultural and artistic space of Tehran and by creating the possibility for exchanging ideas.
Who Can Apply
All the international individual artists active in fields of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sound and Music, Film and Video are welcome to apply.
Fees & Stipend:
Applicants need to pay a non-refundable application fee of 20 USD. Awarded artists receive a 200 USD monthly stipend (which is perfectly enough for a single person monthly costs in Tehran). The costs of accommodation (shared room for two artist), studio and return ticket will also be covered by Kooshk.
• Applications will be received through slideroom, an online application procedure.
• Applications will be processed in compliance with declared criteria in two rounds and different panels of jury of the award.
- Thomas Thayer (Associate Professor at The City College of New York)
- Anne Mullee (Curator, Researcher and Art Writer)
- Alan Quireyns (Artistic Director at Air Antwerpen)
- Bénédicte Alliot (Director General at Cite Internationale des Arts)
- Yangshu Kaikai (Director of Organhaus Art Space )
- Ruth Adams (Executive Director of Art Omi)
- Natasha Chuck (Arts Writer and Curator)
- Adeela Suleman (Visual Artist, Director of Vasl Artists’ Association and the Head of the Fine Art Department at the Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture)
- Nathalie Angles (Director/Founder of Residency Unlimited (RU))
- Tooraj Khamenehzadeh (Artist, Curator, Program Manager of Kooshk and Board Member of Rybon Art Center and ResArtis)
All applicants must fill in the application form providing the following:
• Personal Information
• Reference (No letter will be needed)
• Artist Statement
• Motivation Letter
• Work Samples
• Competency of the application, including the quality of resume and sample works
• Innovativeness of the proposal, outputs and concrete outcomes
• Compatibility of the proposal/plan with the award’s goals and the extent of the award’s significance in realizing the proposal
• English language skills
Applying early is smart. As there will be numerous applicants submitting at the last days/moments of deadline, we will not grant you any deadline extension or help to submit if something goes wrong.
The applicants can apply through the link below:
If you have any question, send an email to email@example.com