OPEN CALL – Socially Engaged Art Projects 2021 Peripheries And Crossovers: Art As Social Practice 2021
The idea of Peripheries & Crossovers was born out of Khoj’s history of initiating and sustaining projects that lie at the intersection of art and social practice in its neighbourhood Khirkee. This multi-city, three-year-long project started in 2019 with the aim to demonstrate art’s role as an agent for social change. Spanning several locations across India and covering diverse artistic practices, Khoj has supported nine-year-long projects so far, with the hope to affect cultural shifts to counter gender-based injustice and address issues around urbanisation. The projects treat local context(s) seriously and sensitively.
Drawing from our learnings from the last two years, Khoj is inviting applications for year-long socially engaged art projects to actively engage with issues around violence against women and gender-based inequality exacerbated through the processes of urbanisation in India. The proposed projects should involve close collaboration with communities and civil society organisations to ensure that there are multiple stakeholders participating. Our learnings have also led us to expand our curatorial ambit to include projects that are not only site-specific but also context-specific and aim to bring communities together over shared concerns which may transcend geographical boundaries.
Change happens through multiple encounters and exchanges. Thus, it is absolutely imperative that the everyday process of engagement through the proposed projects facilitates encounters and exchanges that have the ability to create shifts in attitude and perceptions of the communities that artists plan to work with. Furthermore, artists should take the project as an opportunity to reflect on and adapt their own artistic practice.
Those interested must answer the questions below as part of the preliminary round and send them to us along with the following:
– Applicant CV and Letter of Intent (one page)
Please send all applications on firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: SOCIALLY ENGAGED ART PROJECT 2021
1) What is your understanding of a collaborative socially engaged art practice? (300 words max)
2) Tell us something about your overall art practice through one of your projects. (300 words max)
3) How do you propose to foreground and address issues around violence against women and gender injustice through the proposed year-long project? (300 words max)
4) Tell us a little about the area you will be working in through this project. What is your relationship with that space? (200 words max)
– Application Start Date – Thursday, 18th December 2020
– Deadline for Application Submission – Sunday, 24th January 2021
Who can apply?
– Individual creative practitioners or collectives, artists, filmmakers, theatre practitioners, art educators are all encouraged to apply
– All ages but must reside in India
– Number of projects: 6
– Support amount: UPTO INR 600,000/- for each project
– Engagement period/project duration: 1 year from the start date
*This is the first round and shortlisted applicants will be expected to submit a more detailed strategy with a project outline, budget breakdown, details of collaborations and desired outcomes for the second round. Please find important dates below.
This project is supported by the Ford Foundation.