VASL Opportunity: call for application – Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust / British Council Pakistan Residency 2015
The Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust / British Council Pakistan Residency 2015
Residency for Pakistani Artists, 1 October – 17 December 2015 Application Deadline: 10am, Monday 6 April 2015
This residency is made possible thanks to the generous support of the Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust and British Council Pakistan, who have an ongoing partnership to offer a fully funded, three-month (11 week) residency at Gasworks, London to an artist based in Pakistan. VASL, Karachi will also be a project partner for the residency.
The Residency Comprises:
– Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a three-story house, the communal spaces of which will be shared with 3 other artists in residence)
– Basic living expenses in London (weekly stipend of up to £140pw)
– A studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks permanent studio holders
– Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
– Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
– An artist’s talk and Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
– Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)
The residency focuses on self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation and is open to emerging and mid-career artists based in Pakistan.
Selection and Eligibility
The residency is open to contemporary visual artists working in all disciplines, though one must note Gasworks’ restricted facilities. Emerging and mid-career artists involved in high quality art practice who have not had the opportunity to work in London before will be prioritised. Applying artists should have at least a moderate level of spoken English, and should feel comfortable engaging in artistic discussions in English. It is important that all applicants research Gasworks thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering.
The selected artist should be able to engage discursively and speculatively with Gasworks’ environment and London’s wider artistic and cultural context. With this in mind, applicants should submit a project proposal outlining their specific research interests and intentions for the residency. Those who fail to submit a considered proposal that is specific to this residency and the London context will be disqualified.
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. A decision will be made in liaison with British Council Pakistan and Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust. The successful artist only will be notified by 11 May 2015.
We prefer digital applications, preferably within one concise PDF document, or otherwise in Word format. Please note that there is a 10MB limit on each email sent to us. If your email is over 10MB you will receive a message saying ‘mailbox is full’ when you submit your application. In this instance please check the file size of your application and re-size or send your files via ‘we transfer’, ‘hightail’, ‘dropbox’ or a similar file sharing service, if necessary.
There is no application form but your application should submit the following as part of only ONE PDF file:
1. An artist’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest in your work (no more than 250)
2. A minimum of 10 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary.
3. A CV/Resume
4. A simple statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which could include a short description of a research project specific to the context of London or your residency at Gasworks (200 words max). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency.
5. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
6. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available from October to December 2015, if selected.
Application Deadline: 10am, Monday 6 April 2015
Applications should be emailed to:
Residencies Assistant, Gasworks
Or if you prefer to post your application, please send it to:
Curator, GasworksThe Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust / British Council Pakistan Residency 2015 Gasworks International Residency Programme 155 Vauxhall Street London SE11 5RH UK We regret that we are not able to return application materials.