Women and Intersectionality: Call for Photographers and Filmmakers For Student and Early Career Practitioners
Articulating Women: Interrogating Intersectionality and Empowering Women Through Critical Engagements is pleased to announce a competition for students and early-career photographers and filmmakers in India. Early career entrants will have graduated within the last three years. Up to three projects will be funded, with up to 45,000 rupees allocated for expenses, including an artist’s fee in recognition of the time devoted to completing the project.
This call invites artists interested in creating a body of work around some of the feminist concerns gripping contemporary Indian landscape. We recognise that the burden of gender equality does not lie with the figure of the woman or with the roles that a woman can acquire, but with the systems that create inequality and oppression. Artistic practices can become a site where the forces that mandate and uphold inequality are exposed and where resistance against structural oppression is articulated. To this end, Articulating Women is sponsoring a competition for a 10-15 minute documentary film or a photo based work on some aspect of “Women and Intersectionality” including thinking both about the various structures of gender inequality and the role women can play in exposing these systems and resisting them. We welcome early career photographers, filmmakers, artists and practitioners to submit a proposal that fits within the theme of the call. The deadline for applications is 30 November 2019. Winners will be contacted by 15 December. Completed projects must be submitted within six months.
Requirements for applicants:
- The applicant must be a student or a recent graduate of last three years
- The applicant should be at least 18 years old and a resident of India.
- In case the applicant is chosen as the recipient of the award he/she should agree to all Terms and Conditions, as listed below, upon accepting the award.
Terms and Conditions for recipient:
- The recipient will accept the award by formally signing an agreement with Articulating Women. Once the recipient accepts the award, which includes funding to complete a body of work, he/she cannot withdraw their acceptance and will have to comply with the schedule provided by the organisers.
- The recipient will be expected to maintain contact with Chinar Shah, one of the Competition Organisers on a regular basis. Mentoring will be available for the those selected. A schedule of meetings (in person or via Skype) will be established before the initial payment of 22,000 rupees. Final payment will be conditional on maintaining contact and submitting the project on time.
- Before the selected winners can commence their proposed project, copyright forms and ethics approval must be approved. The required forms for ethics approval and for copyright agreement can be found on the project website: www.empowering-women.net
- Those submitting proposals should bear in mind that Articulating Women will hold the right to use the film or photo-essay internationally and in perpetuity in project exhibitions, public screenings, book and catalogue publications, and educational materials. The film or photo-essay will also be published on the project website with due credit to the artist.
- Please send your application to email@example.com with the Subject Line as Articulating Women: Application 2019, (Name of Applicant)’.
- You can also submit your application via Google Drive, WeTransfer, or any other such file-sharing platform, to the same email id. The attachments you are required to send, are detailed below.
- A SINGLE PDF AS DETAILED BELOW.
The PDF will contain:
- Your most current resume
- Brief proposal of the project you wish to undertake and supporting visuals/explorations already done, up to 10 images.
- An artist’s statement, explaining your practice and interests, and a brief explanation on the works submitted
- Portfolio of Images of up to 10 works, each image labelled with the artist’s name, title of work, date, dimensions and medium. If works are part of a series, please provide multiple images (each series will be considered a separate work.)
- If there are video file(s), they should be compatible for playback on Windows Media/VLC/Real Player.
Note: You can add the link to the video(s) within the PDF itself, or send the files to us separately via direct email, Google Drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, or any other such file-sharing platform, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we will not individually acknowledge the receipt of applications given the volume of submissions received. For any other queries regarding application procedure or the award, please contact us at email@example.com
The winners will be selected by an international panel of judges.
Articulating Women is an AHRC funded international research networking project. The project partners are Liverpool Hope University; Christ University, Bengaluru; Bluecoat Arts Centre, Liverpool; and FACT, Liverpool. For more information on the project, please see www.empowering-women.net.