b. 1973, Calcutta
1996-2001 Animation Film Design, (Advanced Entry Programme) National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
1992-96 B.F.A. in Painting (1st class) Faculty of Fine Arts, M. S. University of Baroda
1990-92 I.S.C. examination (93%) La Martiniere for Girls, Calcutta
2008 – INTERNATIONAL RESIDENCY, SPIKE ISLAND, BRISTOL, UK
2007 – 60 X 60 PROJECT COMMISSION FOR ARTISTS FILMS MOTIROTI, UK
2007 – CHARLES WALLACE INDIA TRUST AWARD
2007 – INDEPENDENT FELLOWSHIP SARAI, NEW DELHI
2006 – ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE FRENCH EMBASSY IN INDIA
2002 – SHORTLISTED COMMISSION, COMMONWEALTH VISION AWARD ROYAL COMMONWEALTH SOCIETY, UK
1992 – PRINCIPAL’S GOLD MEDAL I.S.C. examination, LA MARTINIERE FOR GIRLS, CALCUTTA
SELECTED WORK EXPERIENCE
SEPTEMBER – NOVEMBER 2008: ART FOR DHOBI GHAT, Paintings and installations created as part of a film shoot, Mumbai
MARCH – JUNE 2008: ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE, Spike Island, Bristol, UK. Charles Wallace India Trust Award.
MARCH – NOVEMBER 2007: INDEPENDENT FELLOW, SARAI, NEW DELHI. Research on Animation in India and the Developmental Ideal – The idea of Nation, the Socialist impetus and Animation Film Design in India.
OCTOBER – DECEMBER 2006 – ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE, AIR Vallauris, France. Artist-in-Residence programme, French Embassy in India.
SEPTEMBER 2005 – VISITING FACULTY, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
APRIL 2001-2006 – PROGRAMME OFFICER, Seagull Arts and Media Centre, Calcutta.
SAMRC is a non-profit centre for the Arts housing a research library and multipurpose space for the Arts. As Programme Officer responsibilities included curatorial and creative strategies for programmes, design and administration and management of the Centre.
NOVEMBER 1999 – DECEMBER 2000 – DESIGN PROJECT, Sanskriti Pratishthan, New Delhi.
1997- INTERNSHIP, Ram Mohan Biographics (RM-USL)
2008 ‘A SHOWCASE OF VIDEO ART’, presented by Wonderwall. Delhi.
2008 ‘BUILDING’, Camelot, Mumbai. A project for a film shoot
2008 ‘DIS.CLOCATION/S’, open studio at Spike Island, Bristol, UK.
2006 ‘CARTES POSTALES’ , Galerie Aqui Siam Ben, Vallauris, France
2008 ‘DIS•LOCATION/S’ Digital Collages ad installations (work in progress) at Spike Island, Bristol
2008 ‘MAPPING MOVEMENT’ Digital Collage. Artists’ film on Diaspora. Commissioned for project 60×60, as part of the 360° programme by Motiroti, UK
2006 ‘CARTES POSTALES’ Digital Collage. Experimental Film collage.
2006 ‘HIBISCUS’, ‘BOUGAINVILLA’, ‘LEAF’ 30 secs, colour, Digital imaging. Short film experiments with using digital images and reworking in layers using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.
2003 ‘5 SPOTS FOR PEACE’ 30 secs, colour. Short television spots developed for the Peace Works.
2003 ‘RAINBOW PROMOTIONAL VIDEO’ 12.5 mins. , colour, Live Action. Short film on the Rainbow Project for Street children at Loreto Sealdah, Calcutta. Produced by the Partnership Foundation, Netherlands.
2002 ‘SELF PORTRAIT WITH A GLASS’ 1 min., colour, Live Action and still photographs. A dark self portrait with vignettes of my life in photographs.
• Selection: Cinematexas:Internationa Short Film festival: face-off section, 2004
2002 ‘BROOMSTICKS’ 1 min., colour, Live Action. A film about broomsticks and its use in the hands of common people. Made with a grant from the Royal Commonwealth Society, London.
1999 ‘REVERIE’ * 2.5 mins. , colour, Traditional hand drawn animation* Paper, paint and photocopies. A film about displacement and urban suffocation.
• Selection: short film programme, Short & Sweet, Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai, April, 2003
• Selection: March, 2003: IDPA with the Alliance Francaise de Bombay: showcasing Indian women film makers
1998 ‘OOPS!’ * Film for children, 3 mins., colour, Traditional hand drawn animation* , Paper, ink and paint. The film deals with a little girl who makes a mess while painting, her disastrous efforts to cover it up and the consequences.
Part of package of NID student films awarded special mention, Ottowa Film festival for Best School
3rd Prize for animation film, Indian Documentary Producers Association 2001
Selection, Mumbai International Film Festival
Part of retrospective package of Indian animation at Zagreb 2000
* shot on Kodak Eastman colour negative, on the Oxberry camera, and edited on non linear editing system, ©NID
SELECTED WORKSHOPS / TALKS
– Artists’ talks at Spike Island, Bristol, UK (May and June 2008), University of Cornwall, Camborne, UK (Spring lecture series 2008)
– ‘The Magic of Animation’: animation workshop (Women, Media Society: Transformations, IAWRT Festival, 2006)
– ‘It Was You Blue Kangaroo’: animation workshop organized in collaboration with the British Council and the Seagull Foundation for the Arts (2005)
– ‘Animation’ for the film appreciation course ‘Reading Film’ (2005, 2004), the Seagull Foundation for the Arts
– ‘Design’ in Cover to Cover: the Seagull editing and publishing course (2002)
– ‘Child Labour through the eyes of children’: photography workshop with Mahendra Kumar, Seagull and Save the
Children, UK (2002)
SELECTED DESIGN WORK
– Publicity design for ‘Taare Zameen Par’, ‘Jaane Tu . . . Ya Jaane Na’, Aamir Khan Productions Pvt Ltd.
– Design consultant, British Council, Kolkata
– Design consultant, Alliance Française, Kolkata
– Design for ‘The Cake that Walked’ a book on Flurys for Apeejay Group
– Design for book ‘Somnath Hore’ for Galerie 88, Calcutta
– Design for ‘Remembered Rhythms’ a set of CDs for the Archives and Research Centre for Ethnomusicology of the American Institute of Indian Studies, 2006
– Stage design for Nagamandala produced by Ranan, Calcutta 2004
– Art catalogue/brochure designs for Seagull, Galerie ’88, Daywalka Foundation, Swayam and others
– Design for ‘Visual Worlds of Modern Bengal: an introduction to the pictorial and photographic documentation of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta’ by Tapati Guha-Thakurta, published by Seagull Books