Uma Ray received an MFA in sculpture from Visva Bharati University, Shantiniketan in 2006. Current socio – political uncertainties – that lead to introspection and self-examination, and enquiry of one’s identity and the social positioning of the self at such times – pique her interest. In her work, she questions the real and the unreal or the hyper-real, a feeling of individual crisis that arises out of and in reaction to financial globalization, probably challenging the real essence of the things. Her works evolve from her immediate experiences. Issues addressed in Ray’s works include traces left behind through a passage of time and memories juxtaposed with self preservation and/or the need to move out of self imposed boundaries and the continuous cycle of life.
•Master of Fine Arts in July 2006 from Visva Bharati University (Sculpture), Shantiniketan.
•Bachelor of Visual Arts in August 2004 from Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
• Salon des Refuses – Sights Unseen.
As part of Americans for the Arts Public Art Preconference,2010. (Public Art Project – “Urban Dialogues”)
• Vitruvian Woman, video project 2009. Video Installation in Torino, Italy at the Festival “Video Dia Loghi 2009” 14th-23rd of December 2009
• Crosstalk Video Art Festival, Budapest, 2009
• The 5th International Festival for video art and experimental film ATTITUDE, 2009 in Bitola, Macedonia
• Vitruvian Woman Video Project (2008-2009), Formverk Art Space in Sweden, 2009.
• Magmart (Video Under Volcano) International Video Art Festival 4th Edition, Naples, Italy – 2009
• 73rd Annual All India Fine Arts Exhibition, Academy of Fine Arts 2008-2009
Visual event; New Media Platorm Institute and Museum, Bitola, Macedonia (former republic of Yougoslavia). 3rd July 2008
• On Cloud Nine As It Is, an exhibition of recent draiwngs and video, at Tejas Art Gallery, Kolkata 2008
• “Crossing Currents” Sapridi – A group Show at The Fine Art Museum, Punjab University, Chandigarh – 2007.
• Exhibition of the Sculpture Department of Kala Bhavan at Nandan Art Gallery, Shantiniketan – 2006
• Annual Art Exhibition at Birla Academy of Arts and Crafts, Kolkata – 2005
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition, Kala Bhavan, Shantiniketan – 2005
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2004
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2003
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2002
• Group Show at 10th Milestone, Jamshedpur – 2001
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2001
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2000
• Students’ Annual Art Exhibition at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 1999
Residencies and Workshops
• Alexandria Media and Light Arts (AMALA)workshop, Collaboration with the Goethe Institute, Alexandria,
Egypt – 2009.
• Thupelo International Workshop,
Greatmore Studios, Cape Town- 2007
• Alexandria Media and Light Arts (AMALA)workshop, Alexandria,
Egypt – 2007. (Part of the 24th Biennale D’Alexandrie Des Pays De La Mediterranee)
• Peers Residency at Khoj – 2007
• Internship with the Eco Art Project with Khoj – 2007
• Training on the conservation and preservation of palm leaf manuscripts, Bhubaneshwar – 2006
• Terracotta Workshop at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata – 2003
• Workshop of Traditional Bell Metal Technique Guskara, West Bengal, at Art’s Acre, Kolkata conducted by Uma Siddhant – 2000